Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vacation: Party of One

I am unemployed for the summer and I must say that I am loving it!!

Once I was done with work I took a trip up to San Jose to visit friends.  I spent some time talking and catching up with my good friend Pauline.  She was telling me that recently she took a trip to Monterey by herself to recharge and relax.  I was really impressed that she did that, I myself have always been a wimp about taking trips alone.  I can eat in a restaurant, catch a movie, and pretty much do most things alone, but there has always been something about going on a vacation by myself that has seemed daunting to me.  Prior to my conversation with Pauline I had been looking up destinations to travel to alone but something always prevented me from making the decision to go ahead and do it.  Am I worried about the safety of traveling to a new place alone?  Am I concerned that people will judge me and think I am some desperate loser with no friends who has to vacation alone?  I am not really sure, but I know that I won't get over whatever stigma I think is attached to a solo vacation unless I do it.  I'm not sure when I am going to do it but I am committing myself to taking a solo vacation before the year's end.

I'll keep you posted when I figure out my destination...

1 comment:

  1. "Am I concerned that people will judge me and think I am some desperate loser with no friends who has to vacation alone? "
    That's funny.

    Throw caution to the wind and just go. You will thank yourself for it in the end.

    P.S. i think if you can get over going to the movies and restaurants alone then you should be able to vacay alone. The safety issue is well founded but as with anything do your research. I also think there is a website that caters to solo travelers.

    ReplyDelete