Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Home for the Holidays

I've been home since Saturday and will be in NYC until the 31st. Since my arrival there has been a foot of snow and the temperature has not been above 35 degrees. Saying it's cold is an understatment. Nonetheless I have been braving the cold to head out and see friends, or shop in the city. I always try to make most of my time when I am in NYC but I think the cold is making me take things a little slower. I brought home three books and I've been spending time laying in bed in pajamas and socks and reading. It's nice to take time to relax and unwind.

My family has never had many traditions when it comes to Christmas. We usually go to midnight mass at Saint Patricks Cathedral. I grew up Catholic and so while I am don't consider myself Catholic anymore (another conversation for another day) it's still something that I do with my parents out of respect to them. My parents also don't decorate the apartment. They did when I was younger but it's been a long time since I lived at home so I don't think it's something they get excited about doing. The one thing that is always a staple is that my mom cooks Christmas dinner which is a favorite of mine since I find her to be an excellent cook. Most importantly it's nice to be able to spend time at home.

RSlo is coming to visit NYC a couple days after Christmas. It's always fun to have him in NYC because I get to take him around to different places in the city and it's like I am seeing these places for the first time again. Our itinerary so far includes: go kart racing, vintage shopping in Brooklyn and going to his favorite Chinese restaurant that serves table wine with dinner. We are also going to cook dinner for my family one night. I am looking forward to it all.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. i really love reading yoru blogs. be safe in NYC, enjoy seeing friends and family. I also hope you and RSLO have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy experiencing and seeing NYC through the eyes of RSlo...always refreshing to see it through a different lens!

    -Thomas

    ReplyDelete